The Recipe For Making Chicken in Salsa Verde Tamales.
You can make Chicken in Salsa Verde Tamales using 11 ingredients in 17 quick steps. The following is an easy way to make it.
Ingredients Required To Make Chicken in Salsa Verde Tamales
- Add 25 of dried corn husks, soaking in warm water.
- Add of For the tamales :.
- Insert 3/4 cup of lard or vegetable shortening.
- Add 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Mix 1 tsp of cold water.
- Mix 1 tsp of baking powder.
- Fill 1 lb of (about 3 1/4 cups) instant corn masa, for tamales.
- Prepare 3 1/2 cups of chicken stock, add more if needed.
- Add of For the filling :.
- Insert 2 bottles of Salsa Verde (I used store bought).
- Prepare 3-4 cups of shredded cooked chicken.
Step By Step To Make Chicken in Salsa Verde Tamales
- Combine Salsa Verde with the shredded chicken and set aside..
- Soak dried corn husks in hot water for a couple minutes, or until they are pliable, and drain..
- Place lard in a mixer and beat until very light..
- Add salt and 1 teaspoon cold water and continue beating until it is white and spongy, a couple more minutes..
- Add baking powder and then take turns adding the instant corn masa and the chicken stock. Continue beating until dough is homogeneous and as fluffy as can get..
- The tamal masa is ready when you drop 1/2 teaspoon of the masa in a cup of cold water, it floats. Keep beating if it doesn't float..
- Place water in the bottom pan of a steamer (only enough so the water is just under the basket with the tamales and not touching them) and bring it to a simmer..
- Line the steamer basket with one or two layers of soaked corn husks..
- Lay out a corn husk with the tapering end towards you. Spread about 3 tablespoons of masa into about a 2- to 3-inch square, the layer should be about 1/4-inch thick, leaving a border of at least 1/2-inch on the sides..
- Place some of filling in the middle of the masa square..
- Pick up the two long sides of the corn husk and bring them together (you will see how the masa starts to swaddle the filling) and fold the folded sides to one side, rolling them on same direction around tamal..
- Fold up the empty section of the husk with the tapering end, from the bottom up. This will form a closed bottom and the top will be left open..
- Prepare all the tamales and place them as vertically as you can in a container..
- When all tamales are ready, place them again, as vertically as you can on the prepared steamer, with the open end on top. (Make sure the water in the steamer is simmer). If there is space left in the steamer, tuck in some corn husks, so the tamales won’t move around..
- Cover with more corn husks, and steam covered for 50 minutes to an hour or until when they come easily free from the husks (the dough don't stick on the husk anymore)..
- These tamales can be frozen for months. Reheat tamales in a steamer. For refrigerated tamales, it will take about 15 minutes, and for frozen tamales about 45 minutes..
- Enjoy 🍴.
That's how to make Chicken in Salsa Verde Tamales Recipe.